Need plywood brand recommendation please

ganeshncm

Need plywood brand recommendation please

Post by ganeshncm »

I was all the while inclined to go with a good brand, Century or Everest, offlate i have been hearing people telling me that these brands outsource to local 3rd parties and their quality isnt good. Please guide.
SubbuM

Re: Need plywood brand recommendation please

Post by SubbuM »

Hi Ganesh, if you care for best in quality and ready to spend a bit more go with Sharon Gold.
Per sq. ft would cost abuot 110-120 but its worth.

Regards
Subbu
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

ganeshncm wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 9:41 am
I was all the while inclined to go with a good brand, Century or Everest, offlate i have been hearing people telling me that these brands outsource to local 3rd parties and their quality isnt good. Please guide.
Hi,
Its true that almost all ply brands out source the production to the factories in kerala, Depending on the brand they have quality checks at various levels.
To check ply quality you need to look in to these factors. There are many local well known brands but the vendor should be reliable and give complete support in future not just selling it.
1. Cross section of actual ply sheet not the samples that company provide because most of the samples are poweder filled to cover the gaps from sides.
2. Ply weight is one way to check the hardness and type of wood used in manufacturing
3. Calibrated ply is to make sure all the ply thickness are consistant to avoid waves and undulations after applying laminate on the same.
4. BWP ( boliing water proof ), BWR ( boiling water resistance ), MR ( Marine grade or commercial grade ) are three variaties availble
5. Every brand has 3 range of plys so be careful not to be carried away just by brand name. Check for the which varriant of ply is used
6. ISO has nothing to do with ply quality, dont carried away by it. ISI is the quaility monitoring .
7. Certification can be demanded from the vendor with written warranty, Plywood borer is a major problem.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
ganeshncm

Post by ganeshncm »

Update for the benefit of others:

I evaluated plywood in the range of 70 to 120rs, brands century, everest and green, grades MR and BWP

MR/BWP Ply of Everest and Century - Quality varies drastically based on where they are manufactured. North manufactured one is good, but Kerala manufactured ones are pretty bad (cross section shows thickness variations and silverwood inbetween).. if you can monitor every ply board you purchase, then these are good.. 75 to 90rs range

Green MR/BWP - 90 to 100rs range - Excellent quality and consistency. It is calibrated for uniform thickness. You can buy with eyes closed from an authorized dealer. Lots of duplicates in the market, check hologram. Company's customer support and warranty process is also good. They will guide you thru the purchase process

Everest and Century Blockboard - are slightly heavier, not always containing Pine core. 110rs range

Green BWP - Always pine core, not one defective piece in a huge lot. 125rs range.

Green wins hands down in quality. The price difference is surely worth it.

Return to “Interiors”