Chimney

adnan_designer

Re: Chimney

Post by adnan_designer »

Some chimney brands,

Gilma, Faber, Elica, Glen, Kaff, Sunflame... personally Faber because of better service; Gilma aint bad either.

Most clients who installed chimney use it rarely... very few use them regularly. It is more aesthetic than a necessity. For Indian tadka style cooking a chimney would be suggested, but you will rarely run it at top suction. At lower suction power ( 1 and 2) the sound is bearable so noise will not be a concern.

Basically an exhaust works just as fine and does the job but in most cases it is seen that the ceiling above the stove usually goes black and sticky after a few months, this can be avoided by using the chimney; of-course cleaning the chimney comes along with the package.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Guys
An exhaust fan is not equal to chimney. Typically you would never in life time clean a exhaust fan.All that you see near exhaust fan over a period of time will be Evil type oil stains mixed with dust .All together the surroundings turn blackish .
Normal exhaust cannot avoid oil settlements on the loft bottoms.You will see oil settlements on dabbas, untouched utensils in no time.

Chimney is not just for exhaust but to suck the heavy oil filled fumes.Chimney always comes with maintenance.If you cannot clean the chimney regularly it doesn't mean chimney is failure item in kitchen.
Cleaning a chimney filter is simple if done regularly, need to use oil solvents like kerosin, thinner, baking soda in a limited quantities .
Chimney with high suction power is based on your usage and hob size.smaller chimneys are good if you use 2 burner stoves ,for 3 & 4 burners you need 3' wide with high suction power.

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
girishd

Post by girishd »

Folks,

I am looking for showrooms to go check out hob & chimneys. Please provide details of places you recommend.

I went to Gilma Jayanagar 4th block and came back more confused than I went in. Would want to to check out others like Faber, Glen...

Few more questions:
1. Is there one place to check multiple brands?
2. From aesthetics point of view, which one is better 60cm or 90cm chimney? We have a kitchen which is 14x16 and inner space on the wall along hob of about 13ft.
3. Can we mix a 60cm chimney with 75cm hob?
adnan_designer

Post by adnan_designer »

hi..!

check out Faber on double road,

1. Visit Parmanand on commercial street, opp police station.
2. Considering the size of your kitchen a 90 cm chimney would be more proportionate and aesthetic.
3. Preferably chimney and hob should be the same size, if not then chimney needs to be bigger than the hob so that it covers the area of the fumes.

Hope that helps.. cheers!
girishd

Post by girishd »

adnan_designer,

Thanks for your response! I will check out the places you mentioned.
vpbs_bak

Post by vpbs_bak »

Few more queries on chimney

1. For an open type kitchen (roughtly 14*14 sft), is it ok to go with 1000 suction chimney ? I'm planning to get 70 cm wide hob (3 burner)
2. Which is key for chimney - width (3' vs 2') or the suction (925, 1000, 1150 etc.) ? I believe it is suction but wanted to compare say a 925 suction 3' vs 1000 suction 2'
3. Should the chimney always extend a bit more than hob width ?
4. Also, glass top vs SS top - what's the pro/con ?
5. Finally, any idea about Elica Spot NG chimney (1000 suction) ?

thx

vpbs_bak
rkrishna

Post by rkrishna »

We went for 1150 sunction for a 15 * 9 kitchen. I think it depends more on the length of the chimney pipe than the kitchen area. The longer the pipe - the more the suction capacity needed.

We are happy with the Kaff Chimney we installed though it is only a few months.

Return to “Interiors”