Steel - Primary and Secondary

These are Non - negotiated rates in the market
ganeshncm

Steel - Primary and Secondary

Post by ganeshncm »

Can someone please guide on choosing steel for construction ? I was speaking to a vendor and he suggested not to go for secondary steel, such as JSW, Indus etc and go for primary steel like SAIL. Does that make a huge difference in terms of strength and longevity ?
Nishanth

Re: Steel - Primary and Secondary

Post by Nishanth »

Good and reliable steel are Tata, JSW, Indus and Sail, which I am using in my construction projects also.
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,Ganesh
I am not sure what secondary steel is :) . You get steel in grades Fe 500, Fe 550 and cheaper format is re-rolled steel that is brittle and can't withstand high stresses.
Brand like JSW, Indus are not re-rolled for sure, for simple structures like residences with spans of 15-20' don't need high performance steel like SAIL,TATA tiscon.

In steel its just not the material strength, the size consistency is very important. As you go to lower brands an 8mm rod will be 7 or 6 mm in actual, this is used by cheap contractors to reduce the steel weight with out notice of owner.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardesarchitectsblr
ganeshncm

Post by ganeshncm »

Thank you Praveen sir

What I learnt is that secondary manufacturers re-smelt used TMT and produce new TMT entirely with it or mix it in the ratio of 60 (recycled) :40 (newly smelt) .

One steel dealer guy tells me that corrosion resistant property of re-cycled steel isn't as good as primary and hence a lesser life. From a compressive and tensile strength perspective, it is no different from primary steel.

Return to “Material prices”