Carpenter vs modular

ardesarchitects

Carpenter vs modular

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi
conventional Carpenter vs. modular made, i always vote to carpenter work. In carpentry works we use plywood or Nuwud...the life span of these compared with compressed board is far better .The binding strength for the compressed board is very less. I have seen practically many of my clients facing the problems of shutter hinges giving away, though we fix it again, in no time they give away.
In carpentry also we can match to machine make to 90 % depending up on design.
If you wants to go by looks nothing else can beat machine make (modular) , while you ask about the quality of imported vs Indian compressed wood , there are various qualities in it and I don’t think its feasible for any one to manufacture in Europe and fix it here unless they has got lots of business ,
You can check it, by looking at the hardware they use. If they are using any Indian make then its utter marketing strategy saying it’s completely imported.
I would say any good branded guy using best boards will always use the best hardware like hafeles, hettich ,mepla alfit, dorma etc…..
Make sure all these are heavy duty hinges, I have seen many hinges gives away just because of shutter weight, check for the steel baskets they use.
You can know the quality looking at the inner part of any modular furniture.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
gkrishn

Re: Carpenter vs modular

Post by gkrishn »

I got lots of question and clarification to be done on this subject. Just last week booked an apartment. I don't know abcd of kitchen interiors.

I talked to 2 vendors so far regarding this subject.

One guys has already made the interiors of my brothers house. And after 2 years, there are no issues. He claims to be using rubber wood. The over all quality and the look of the kitchen is good.

I walked in to @home yesterday. They seems to be better than home stop quality wise. Now this guys says, marine ply is the best.

Can you please list of wood/plywood options available for kitchen work?
ardesarchitects

Hi gkrishn
For kitchen interiors the best option is always marine plywood for cabinets below counter and commercial ply wood for above the counter.
Various options available in wood for kitchen cabinets (preference wise)
1. Marine ply
2. Commercial ply
3. Rubber wood
4. Mdf
5. Compressed particle board

Before you plan for kitchen, look at your usage and opt for the cabinet’s .In general utensils drawer should be always down and a provision for water to drain out of the cabinet (incase wet utensils are directly places in to the cabinet) .
There should be some ventilation holes provided to keep the cabinet indoor fresh and dry the left our water from utensils.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
gkrishn

Post by gkrishn »

Going back to the first post...

"conventional Carpenter vs. modular made, i always vote to carpenter work."

Now you made this stmt because modular kitchen uses compressed wood? If one end up using marine ply, i see more +ive in modular kitchen. Am i correct?
ardesarchitects

Hi ,
Modular kitchen with marine ply is good in terms of strength , just make sure other things are proper .Make sure they are supplying marine ply, since there is no way you can check the ply that is completely wrapped with vinyl sheet (top layer on cabinet shutter ).
Few things need to be checked...
1. Look at the section of the shutter to make sure they used marine ply in it.
2. Check with the vinyl or other coat used for top finish
3. Hardware brand used, make sure they use heavy duty for all the heavy drawers and shutters.
4. Inspect the drill powder that comes out while they fix the screws to the shutters.
5. Make sure it is borer free.
Since Indian conditions are very much feasible for carpenter works, i would prefer it. (For carpenter work you need to spend your personal time)

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
parkom

Post by parkom »

gkrish, most of the modular furniture available globally uses particle board. It is filled with ground wood powder mixes with glue. Once a screw pierces the top surface, it is a free ride after that. It is better not to have any ocassion to open any part as it will not hold when you fix back the screw. It is indeed "good from far, but far from good".
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....
ardesarchitects

Hi Parkom,
I truly agree with you, the real face of any modular works can be known once it comes to servicing level.Many of my renovation interior projects has the same problems.At the last we end up buying a new shutter that costs a bomb to the client.(more than price availability of same shade and to match the existing one).

Regards
Ar.Praveen.n
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
gkrishn

Post by gkrishn »

"good from far, but far from good"
Thats probably the deal breaker for me, i guess.

Let assume that i am going with carpenter.

This is what i have decided on that wood part. For all the parts that are below the counter top, it will be marine ply. And for all the parts above the conter top are going to be with comercial ply. Considering that solid wood is too costly, is this reasonable conclusion?

What about the finish? Veneer?
duffyhair

Post by duffyhair »

one thing i am yet to come in terms is the pricing of this modular kitchen.
they start in lakhs and go upto infinity (exaggeration!!)
Whats so special about these pieces of wood, hinges and screws that these companies charge 1 lakh and above for it?
is it cost of marketing or cost of esteem value?
revanursrinivas

Post by revanursrinivas »

Any feedback on Godrej kitchens( steel )?

Return to “Interiors”