URGENT Help: Floor to roof - single door for wardrobes

biddappa_c_b

URGENT Help: Floor to roof - single door for wardrobes

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi All, need urgent advice. We are getting wardrobes done. We have a plan for wardrobe and loft but we do not want to have separate door for wardrobe and loft. We plan for Sliding doors. As we do not get 9.5 feet or 10 feet Blockboards, we plan to attach two boards to achieve 9.5 feet single door (height). The carpenter gave the former idea and said it can be achieved but is having the feeling that it would bend due to weight later. Can anyone confirm if they have executed this idea before? I need urgent advice.
Also let me know what would be the weight of 8*4 plywood(BWP) and weight of 8*4 blockboard (BWP) as I plan to go for sliding doors.
Can you also let me know which sliding to use for the above.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
-Biddappa
biddappa_c_b

Re: URGENT Help: Floor to roof - single door for wardrobes

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Team, anyone?
krikks

Post by krikks »

Biddappa,

I am guessing you intend to deploy a bottom rolling arrangement. Hence, the concern for buckling?
I think your concern is very valid and I would advise you not to do it. The local carpenters seem to work with a gut feeling of their own which in most instances is not grounded in reality at all - violating all laws of physics. The crap that they put in will work for a few weeks and when things start falling apart, they will invariably disappear and refuse to answer any of your phone calls. The best thing to do from a durability standpoint is to go with the tried and tested plain jane separate door for loft look. If you dont like that, and want to go with a single door, have you looked into suspending the door from top?
I havent done this personally and so, cant vouch for how easy/difficult it would be in India to execute. In the US, I have seen a ton of acquaintance's homes with top hung single piece doors for closet space as you intend to do and they have held up extremely well over the years. Google search throws up a few links of manufacturers in India who make these top hung door assemblies. You might want to get in touch with one of them and explore your options.

Another option I can think of is, how about talking to some of these UPVC window vendors? You may have to go with UPVC window type shutters if they can support you instead of plywood. With the glass frosted, UPVC window type shutters would give your closet a very modern look.

Hope this helps you. Good luck and keep us all posted.
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Thank you very much Krik. Appreciate it. I went to Ebco showroom and saw their Hi Slide - 90 Dome track which seems very good and supports upto 90 kgs. What do u say about that?
krikks

Post by krikks »

Biddappa,

Looks good. I am a bit concerned about its weight bearing capacity. Check what the weight of your plywood is going to be per track and proceed from there. Keep a 2X safety factor for weight bearing capacity to get longer life. If very expensive, I would go with at least 1.5X. Nothing less than that.
You also have to worry about dust ingress between the two sliding doors into your wardrobe. Dust is a major headache in namma ooru bengaluru. What I have seen in the US is they use some sort of wool type material beading between the two doors that acts as a dust barrier. Check with some hardware stores locally if they have something like that.
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Thank you Kriks. Appreciate your reply. The average weight of 8*4 will be around 45kgs, so each door will be around 50 max 60 kgs. I have bough the set from Ebco and it has a bearing weight if 90 kgs per door. You are right on the dust accumulation part.
pchowhan

Post by pchowhan »

Hi Bidappa,

Can i know where is EBCO showroom in bangalore? And is it cost effective?
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

hi, the Ebco showroom is in Koramangala..near Jyoti nivas college(right opposite to it)....yes it is definitely cheaper than Hafele, Hettich but does not compromise on quality. The quality is good.
I have used both Hafele and Ebco in my house.I really like Ebco...you will find lot of ranges of what you are looking...

Hope I realised it earlier, I could have saved a lot while doing my kitchen..
nagzzz

Post by nagzzz »

Dear Biddappa,
looks like you have done a lot of homework on the Interiors part. this post plus the post on sliding doors. Again, requesting you to kindly put some photos if possible? and what is the cost of the High Slide channel? Did Ebco offer any discounts?
thanks. Naga
biddappa_c_b

Post by biddappa_c_b »

Hi Nazz, Sorry for the delay in reply.
Ebco may not offer discounts but I got 20% discount from the dealer who has contacts with Ebco.
i bought for four wardrobes and it cost me around 9k but I have gone for the ones which can withstand upto 85kgs.

Return to “Interiors”