Veener, Laminates 2016

mahesh2780

Veener, Laminates 2016

Post by mahesh2780 »

Hello fellow members and experts

I have sort of completed bare wood work and in a process to procure VEENER and Laminates

Again we are spoilt with choices here. When it comes to veener lot of people recommend URO veener from gala group on mysore road opp to A2B.

Here guys i know lot of you would have gone through the stage i am in.
Guys please share your experiences

1.Veener or Laminates
2.if it is Veener, what brand, where to buy for good deal, your experience, what sort of polish?, Overall your experience after installation.
3.if it is laminates, where to buy, what brand, scope for negotiation on list price.

Guys please share your experiences and thought, its very valuable input for fellow members like me who are doing interiors.

Regards
Mahesh
karjagir

Re: Veener, Laminates 2016

Post by karjagir »

Mahesh,

Here are my thoughts:

Veneer looks good but is expensive because it costs more than laminates and requires polishing etc. On an average, using veneer costs about 2 – 2.5 times the cost of a laminate incl. polish etc.

URO veneer is good but it is not the only good brand available in the market. You can look at other brands and then decide which one you want to go for.

Like veneer, there are multiple brands of laminates available in the market. You will need to just visit a store and look at the books. I used a mix of Royale Touche and Sun touch laminates for my house. Please note if you plan to use edge banding tape with the laminates, make sure you get the same color tape before buying the laminate. Otherwise, it may look bad if you use slightly differing colors.

Most laminates will cost you about 1500 – 2000 for a 8x4 sheet. If you want core laminates where the edge is also the same color as the laminate, they are a little more expensive. Royale touche has some HD laminates if you want to use 1 or 2 of them as highlighters. These are about 10K per sheet

Royale touche has a showroom near Basappa Circle close to Sajjan Rao circle. They only have a display there and they don’t sell. You will need to note down the model number and get it from the dealer.

If you stay around Banashankari or Mysore Road, I have PMed you a vendor name who has a lot of laminate brands. Please contact him once

Thanks,
Karthik
ardesarchitects

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi,
Veener and laminate selection is a big challenge even for architects like me .The decision of finalizing veneer or laminate to use to be done based on various factors not just the cost and look.
Laminate -
Laminate are paper based product ,the top layer of laminate is nothing but a digitally printed paper that is stuck to base surface with resin finish on top.
Laminate quality is gauged in 2 parameters .
1. Print quality and depth of grains that match to reality
2. Thickness of laminate and back side sanding ( roughness that is must for laminate to stick to the ply properly )
Dont carry away with shinny and brightness you see on all laminates , you need to observe them with detailed eye to understand the depth in the print and the fineness of the texture if any
Veneer is also like laminate but the top surface (.3mm to .7mm thk) is a real layer of wood that is pealed from the tree trunk and no resin finish done on it.
Veneer -
Veneer quality is gauged by 2 parameters from end user point of view
1. Thickness of actual wood layer on top . Lesser the thickness lesser the quality and after polish it looks very dull due to transparency
2. Backing ply on which the real wood layer is stuck - it has to be borer free , good quality ply

uro veneer on mysore road is a good quality but i have a issue of not allowing to photograph the laminate collection they have.
Neither they provide the catalog of the same .In this world of open business still expecting some one to decide without comparison of material quality is stupidity.
Green ply veneers has come up with very interesting version of textured, digital, oxidized veneers but the biggest problem with them is to run around to different stockist for each segment of veneer .
Natural veneers , century veneers are other brands to try with .

Veneers should always be selected only after understanding the full sheet view .unless you are sure about the full sheet view don't buy them .To check the full sheets you end up running around in bangalore :)
Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
http://www.ardesarchitects.com
mahesh2780

Post by mahesh2780 »

Hello Praveen,
Thanks for detailed reply, it was indeed useful while i was selecting. I am not going to buy from uro bcoz of there attitudes, they claim there veener ard better than green and century.

Green veener (natural veener) good variety is available at vijayalaxmi timber depot in bommanahalli and omkar near kamakya theatre
Century veener in Rohini j p nagar

Regards
Mahesh
mahesh2780

Post by mahesh2780 »

karjagir wrote:Mahesh,

Here are my thoughts:

Veneer looks good but is expensive because it costs more than laminates and requires polishing etc. On an average, using veneer costs about 2 – 2.5 times the cost of a laminate incl. polish etc.

URO veneer is good but it is not the only good brand available in the market. You can look at other brands and then decide which one you want to go for.

Like veneer, there are multiple brands of laminates available in the market. You will need to just visit a store and look at the books. I used a mix of Royale Touche and Sun touch laminates for my house. Please note if you plan to use edge banding tape with the laminates, make sure you get the same color tape before buying the laminate. Otherwise, it may look bad if you use slightly differing colors.

Most laminates will cost you about 1500 – 2000 for a 8x4 sheet. If you want core laminates where the edge is also the same color as the laminate, they are a little more expensive. Royale touche has some HD laminates if you want to use 1 or 2 of them as highlighters. These are about 10K per sheet

Royale touche has a showroom near Basappa Circle close to Sajjan Rao circle. They only have a display there and they don’t sell. You will need to note down the model number and get it from the dealer.

If you stay around Banashankari or Mysore Road, I have PMed you a vendor name who has a lot of laminate brands. Please contact him once

Thanks,
Karthik
Thanks karthik
rsk

Post by rsk »

Hi,

My carpenter is quoting 1100rs per sqft for doing wardrobes(box) for using Assam gold plywood and will put mica on top and inside. Any idea about the quality of this plywood and the rate quoted.

Thanks
Naresh_P

Post by Naresh_P »

mahesh2780 wrote:Hello fellow members and experts

I have sort of completed bare wood work and in a process to procure VEENER and Laminates

Again we are spoilt with choices here. When it comes to veener lot of people recommend URO veener from gala group on mysore road opp to A2B.

Here guys i know lot of you would have gone through the stage i am in.
Guys please share your experiences

1.Veener or Laminates
2.if it is Veener, what brand, where to buy for good deal, your experience, what sort of polish?, Overall your experience after installation.
3.if it is laminates, where to buy, what brand, scope for negotiation on list price.

Guys please share your experiences and thought, its very valuable input for fellow members like me who are doing interiors.

Regards
Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

You are right! There certainly are a large number of brands and products in the veneer and laminate market. In order to make the important choice of which one is better for you, let us first look at what veneers and laminates are and the benefits of each.

A veneer is a thin slice of wood obtained from a tree log. The tree logs are mounted horizontally on a machine and rotated about their longitudinal axis while a cutter peels off layers from the log. Laminates on the other hand are artificially produced materials made from paper and plastic resins. There are a number of personal preferences which will probably affect your decision but these are three major points of comparison between the two.

(1) In terms of how they are used, both laminates and veneers are a decorative surface which go on top of the underlying wood. Veneers can be obtained from different trees like teak, oak, maple etc. Laminates on the other hand resemble wood patterns although they are not. Simply put, a veneer is natural while a laminate is artificial.

(2) Veneers are generally more expensive than laminates. The cost of the laminate will vary with the brand and the quality of the product.

(3) If we look at the two in terms of maintenance then laminates are generally easier to maintain. They are scratch-resistant, waterproof and usually look the same even after years of use. On the other hand veneers require more maintenance. They need to be polished in order to maintain their original appearance. Having said that, veneer is reusable. It can be polished with a sandpaper which gives it a complete new look which can then be polished in a different shade and colour. This justifies the cost as well.

So which one is better? Well that is more a matter of personal choice. Preferences in appearance as well as the budget would probably be the major factors.

MDF with veneer looks better than laminated plywood in many cases. But laminates on the other hand offer a wide variety of patterns and colours to choose from. I have been in this industry for more than a decade and have studied and witnessed the change over the years. It's great to see the number of laminate and veneer products that have entered the market. These days we definitely have more options to choose from.

We have initiated an e-commerce platform for all home decor needs. We have more than 2000 products on our website http://www.xxxxxxx.in/ to choose from. We provide a Full Sheet View on the website to get better understanding of natural texture, design and patterns.

We have 3 showrooms in Gujarat, but ship our products within 12 to 15 days to all parts of the country. In fact we do have wholesale buyers from Bangalore as well.

I understand that you might be skeptical about buying laminates or veneer online so we offer free shipping and a 20 day return policy with no questions asked. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I could help you in any way.

Regards
Naresh Patel
Co-founder and CEO, The Roots
rakshith.bh

Post by rakshith.bh »

Hi all !
I was looking for all brands of veneer you have mentioned. Where do I get Natural veneer dealers in Bangalore ?
Is there any place where i get all these (if not all few) brands like Green , Century , Natural , URO veneers and i can compare and buy ?

Thanks and Regards
Rbh

Return to “Interiors”