Few clarification regarding house construction

Ramachandra

Few clarification regarding house construction

Post by Ramachandra »

Hi Guys ,

wanted to start house construction on my vacant plot, have some doubts ,wanted to clarify
1) Can a duplex house be constructed without piller and only on stone foundation ? Is it safe?
2) Plannig to use wire cut bricks and want to leave exterior walls as it is , is there is disadvantage or anything else that I need to be careful?
3) Any other tips and suggestion will be helpful.

Regards
Ram
msn1270

Re: Few clarification regarding house construction

Post by msn1270 »

Ramachandra wrote:Hi Guys ,

wanted to start house construction on my vacant plot, have some doubts ,wanted to clarify
1) Can a duplex house be constructed without piller and only on stone foundation ? Is it safe?
Pillar construction is not compulsory for a regular duplex house. Pillar construction is recommended for multi-storey or high rise buildings.

2) Plannig to use wire cut bricks and want to leave exterior walls as it is, is there is disadvantage or anything else that I need to be careful?
Are you looking for eco friendly construction mechanism ? No harm is leaving the external wall without plastering. Plenty of such constructions
available in the form of eco-friendly construction techniques in the city without cement plastering or painting. you can have a look at them.

Regards
Ram
Purusoth Ariputhiri

Post by Purusoth Ariputhiri »

Hi Ram,

There is no problem if the walls designed to take the load of the structure (Load bearing walls), side stone masonry is good enough if the soil condition reasonably good and your limited up to only G +1.

2) Plannig to use wire cut bricks and want to leave exterior walls as it is , is there is disadvantage or anything else that I need to be careful?

In stead of Wire cut bricks, use Porthern clay blocks (Designed for load bearing walls - Vertical perforation), idle for exteroir walls if you do good pointing.

We had done a similar project in rural nelmangala, Please visit the project if you need more information.
Attachments
IMG_20160916_110205953_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160916_110205953_HDR.jpg (319.36 KiB) Viewed 9110 times
Ramachandra

Post by Ramachandra »

Dear msn1270,

Thanks for such quick and informative reply. As you said for duplex house piller is not required , but in future, if we want to construct another floor on this duplex , will that be accomadated ???

Regards,
Ram
sudheerkeshav

Post by sudheerkeshav »

Ramachandra wrote:Hi Guys ,

Regards
Ram
I am presently constructing 3000 sft house without pillar , with regular load bearing wall. I am sure in my lifetime i will not construct beyond duplex :).

There are wirecut bricks available for external surface which are kiln baked , and of high quality. Please choose those type of bricks for construction. They may cost around 12 -15 Rs per brick , anddoes not require painting.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

Ramachandra

Generally up to G+2 floor, there is no need of Pillar construction.

In case you have future expansion plan, its suggested to first go for a soil testing to know the load bearing capacity of the land where you are undergoing construction process, as some of the present outer areas in Bangalore are the old lake bed areas, so there is a need to take extra care.

At the same time in many of the West & South Bangalore areas is having solid Rocks. There, i'm sure, there is no need of Pillar construction.
Last edited by msn1270 on December 14th, 2016, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swamy_blr

Post by swamy_blr »

Hi Ramachandra,

First do the soil testing for your Site, then go for Sump construction which you need to dig minimum 6-7 feet and you will come to know the soil strength by that time (loose soil or Hard one).

Some of the Layouts are made in Low lying area, Builders fill the low lying areas with Mud/Sand and make it flat and sell it, in that case the Soil will be loose and this will impact the Foundation of the Building. That's why first check by digging upto 7 feet for Sump.

1) You can construct Duplex house (Upto 3 levels also) without Pillars and with Foundation as base, but Ensure the Foundation should of 6-7 Course of Size stone.
2) In wire cut bricks - There are 2 types available, with plastering one (Cost 7-9 per brick) and without Plastering one (19-21 Per brick). There is no disadvantage on this, the Mason workmanship should be good as you are directly exposing the Bricks, so finishing should be good.
3) Give more importance on Foundation and sump construction as you can't repair again & again - Use good quality of Materials (Cement, Size stone, Bricks, Sand (M sand is also fine no problems)

Are you going for Labour Contract or Material Contract, please work out on agreement clearly and ask as much doubts you have with contractors and architects/Engineer.

rgds
Swamy
Ramachandra

Post by Ramachandra »

Thanks everyone for such detailed replies.
These forums help ppl so much who are new and confused with options available in front of them.
I again have some choices to make -
1) Regarding vetrified tiles/italian marbles/granites. what are pros/cons , I have heard few from ppl, but many I feel are kind of biased to one or other. I wanted an opinion here.
2) Paints - which one is better , any other tips, suggestions?

Regards,
Ram
sudheerkeshav

Post by sudheerkeshav »

Hi Ram ,
Basically cost is the driving factor for choosing Vitrified vs Marble , granite. While vitrified starts from 40 rs per sft , granite starts at 75 per sft , plus labour charges.
In paints , Dulux is ranked #1 , and next comes asian , nerolac etc.
Vijay_kumarmr1

Post by Vijay_kumarmr1 »

Dear Purushotham

Am planning to build duplex house in my 17*30 site. I saw your consturction ( nelamangala) in this site.
I need some clarifications. I want to discuss pesonally , is it possible to share your number or personal mail id .
Please mail to vijay_kumarmr1@yahoo.co.in or text to 9886519059

Regards
Vijay

Purusoth Ariputhiri wrote:Hi Ram,

There is no problem if the walls designed to take the load of the structure (Load bearing walls), side stone masonry is good enough if the soil condition reasonably good and your limited up to only G +1.

In stead of Wire cut bricks, use Porthern clay blocks (Designed for load bearing walls - Vertical perforation), idle for exteroir walls if you do good pointing.

We had done a similar project in rural nelmangala, Please visit the project if you need more information.

Return to “Civil Construction”