Cement and steel cost optimizations

Visualizer

Cement and steel cost optimizations

Post by Visualizer »

Hi Folks.

Foundation footing pits of my site are dug and need to buy cement ( mainly for PCC ) and steel

I am getting quotations of FE500D steel in secondary brands such as Kamdhenu , Meenakshi , Indus between ( 51 to 54000 per tonne) and Primary steel as JSW 54000/- and Tata Tiscon 57500/-.

Cement prince for premium brands ( Birla Super , Ultratech ) is in range of 390 - 395 and Dalmia / Koromandal / Ramco is ( 360 -370)

As secondry steels pass only physical tests but not chemical composition tests my thinking is to go for either TISCON or JSW and buy cheaper brand
OPC 53 grade cement as the brand does not matter much in steel. The overall pricing will come to same if I consider total cost of 1 tonne Steel and 100 - 200 bags of cement together.

For footings and slabs I am going with RMC however for columns and other work on site mixing will be done as RMC price does not work out well for smaller quantities , Contractor said he can not cast full 8-10 feet height of columns in one shot to avoid voids and one truck brings 7 Cu M of RMC.

Any opinions on the above approach ?

Any opinions on cement brands such as Penna and Maha as they seem to be cheapest ?
bhagatam

Re: Cement and steel cost optimizations

Post by bhagatam »

Hi Visualizer,

You can go for Priya cement , which is in cement industry for a long time from 1987.
I am using it currently for my house construction as i dont see any difference in Quality.
Pricing are mainly decided on brands

CCI imposes Rs 6,700 crore fine on 10 cement companies for lobbying

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/indl-goods/svs/cement/cci-imposes-rs-6700-crore-fine-on-10-cement-companies-including-acc-ultratech-and-lafarge-for-cartelization/articleshow/53948286.cms

Regards
Bhagat
swamy_blr

Post by swamy_blr »

Hi,

For Footing and Pillar always go with JSW for peace of mind, never compromise for this.

Cement also go with Birla Super/Ultratech for Footing, pillar and RCC, for Plastering go with Bharati.

For G+3 building for 30×50 site the quantity required is approximately 12-14 tons, going with lower brand will save you around 25-30K

Cement is required around 1100-1200 bags, going with lower brand will save you 20k.

So a take a call on this calculation and decide you want to save 50k overall or better quality materials. Price is just cannot simply higher for good brands, they come with quality and confidence.

rgds
Swamy
Kiran Kumar K

Post by Kiran Kumar K »

good explanation
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Thanks Swami and Bhagatm for inputs

Ordered JSW FE500D 53500/- cash payment.

Cement yet to order will do on weekend after 1st April there is sudden price rise. Need 100 bags on Monday.

Pits were digged with JCB contractor says he need 2-3 days for finer cutting with hand and it takes time to do in 8 feet deep pits

PCC laying with 40mm jelly stone will start on Monday.

For footings getting RMC , Columns will be site mixed due to lesser quantity.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Got the delivery of JSW Neo steel FE500D , Got Birla Shakti OPC for PCC work.
Footing RCC will be done with RMC.
Still some cutting digging work remaining may be one more day of JCB work.

Return to “Civil Construction”