Wood for furniture making

Ajay

Wood for furniture making

Post by Ajay »

Understand there is a South African wood available for furniture making ? Any one knows the actual name , price & can vouch for it ?
ardesarchitects

Re: Wood for furniture making

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Ajay,
Are you talking about African teak ? there is also an other wood called sheesham wood used widely by many furniture guys.This is an Indian wood ,when polished in antique finish stands out very well.

regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior Designers
ardesarchitects@yahoo.co.in
Ajay

Post by Ajay »

I am aware of seesham & and other Indian woods. I was told by some one that there is a South African hard wood available in the market that is substantially cheaper than local teak .

thanks.
blrguy

Post by blrguy »

Ajay wrote:I am aware of seesham & and other Indian woods. I was told by some one that there is a South African hard wood available in the market that is substantially cheaper than local teak .
African teak is also known as Ghana Teak. I think they mentioned that it costs 1400 Rs/Sft when I asked yesterday. I was looking for some inexpensive wood for our staircase. But the looks of it is like jungle wood (my first impression). The shop guy kept insisting that its teak & when I asked what teak he said its Ghana Teak (and said this what is called african teak). He said many people are buying this as teak now a days - FYI
parkom

Post by parkom »

Guys, any idea how to differentiate A grade Teak wood from B grade teak wood as there appears to be a 40% difference in price.
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on....

Return to “Interiors”