How to interpret site dimensions

sheruvs

How to interpret site dimensions

Post by sheruvs »

Kind attention of my Architect, Civil engr friends and others,

Friends, I have a basic doubt about representation of the measurements of a site. Pl see attached diagram and refer to how the dimensions are represented in one of the BDA E-auction advertisements for two corner sites, Site-A & Site-B:

Site-A:
N-S: 12 m
E-W: (8.50+9.00)/2
Area = 105.00 sq.m

Site-B
N-S: 12 m
E-W: (9.70+9.00)/2
Area = 112.20 sq.m

Assuming you stand in the center of Site-A and if we denote A-N = North boundary of Site-A, A-E = East boundary of Site-A etc, what are the exact dimensions of the four boundaries of the two sites?

A-N =
A-S =
A-E =
A-W =

B-N =
B-S =
B-E =
B-W =

I am also interested to know the convention of the measurements - for Eg. for Site-A, E-W: (8.50+9.00)/2 means:
A-N = 8.50 m & A-S = 9.00 m OR
A-N = 9.00 m & A-S = 8.50 m ?

Thanks in advance.
bda-dimensions.jpeg
msn1270

Re: How to interpret site dimensions

Post by msn1270 »

Hi Sheruvs

Generally the Plots are made in Rectangular sizes i.e. opposite sides having same length.
Which means, if the plot is 30 X 40 Dimension, 2 opposite sides will have 30 ft length and
other 2 opposite side will have 40 ft length.

Whenever dimension is measured as X + Y /2, means one of the opposite side is not having the same length of its opposite (other) side. Which means one corner is tapered /extended. Based on the road side, the tapered corner position may change to its opposite corner like its towards the road side or its opposite side.

Please refer the attached image for reference.
Attachments
site A & B.png
site A & B.png (14.23 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
sheruvs

Post by sheruvs »

Hi msn1270,

Thank you for your response.

Some things are now clear. Going by how you have depicted the dimensions of the EW boundaries of both the sites, shouldn't the EW dimension of Site-B be represented as (9.0+9.7)/2 rather than the other way round as I have posted (and as it had appeared in the BDA advt)?

That would mean that the first number is the dimension of the northern boundary of the plot along the EW direction & the second number is the southern boundary. Is this a standard convention and is my understanding correct?
sheruvs

Post by sheruvs »

Taking this forward, for academic interest, pl refer to the layout map of Anjanapura Blk-II. There are a few sites of interest here. Pl see corner sites #1174 & #1175. I am reproducing their dimensions here for ease of reference:

Site-1174
N-S: 11.50 m
E-W: (6.50+9.00)/2
Area = 89.12 sq.m

Site-1175
N-S: 12.00 m
E-W: (8.50+5.50)/2
Area = 84.00 sq.m

My queries here are:
1. First of all, the given N-S dimension is for the road side boundary or for the opp side which is adjacent to the next site?

2. Here the common boundary seperating the two sites is not of the same dimension for both. This means that the dimension of the common boundary for one site is more than that of the other. How do we identify all the boundary dimensions in this case?

Sites with dissimilar common boundaries are #1149 & 1150, #1127 & 1128 etc

Thanks.
anjanapura-51.pdf
(165.65 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
anjanapura-blk-II.png
sheruvs

Post by sheruvs »

Pl ignore this
Last edited by sheruvs on March 6th, 2022, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheruvs

Post by sheruvs »

Wrt my original post, I got a clarification for the query at the end of the post:

" I am also interested to know the convention of the measurements - for Eg. for Site-A, E-W: (8.50+9.00)/2 means:
A-N = 8.50 m & A-S = 9.00 m OR
A-N = 9.00 m & A-S = 8.50 m ? "

The answer is for Site-A, E-W: (8.50+9.00)/2 means:
A-N = 8.50 m & A-S = 9.00 m

The convention followed here is that the first number (A) in (A+B)/2 pertains to boundary one is facing when standing on the road. The second number (B) is the opp boundary.
Similarly for Site-B, E-W: (9.70+9.00)/2 means:
B-N = 9.00m and B-S = 9.70 m
Hence the common boundary betw the two sites (A-S which is same as B-N) are of the same dimension of 9.70m

Thought I'd share this info, for which I was seeking from a very long time. :-)
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

sheruvs wrote:
March 4th, 2022, 10:24 pm
Hi msn1270,

Thank you for your response.

Some things are now clear. Going by how you have depicted the dimensions of the EW boundaries of both the sites, shouldn't the EW dimension of Site-B be represented as (9.0+9.7)/2 rather than the other way round as I have posted (and as it had appeared in the BDA advt)?

That would mean that the first number is the dimension of the northern boundary of the plot along the EW direction & the second number is the southern boundary. Is this a standard convention and is my understanding correct?
I've represented the site dimension in general. Not with reference to your layout map. So when you compare the dimension of the site based on the map, you will come to know the exact numbers on which side. Generally the road side is tapered/extended for these kind of odd dimension sites.

Return to “General”