deepakss83

Re: Building our dream house

Post by deepakss83 »

sunil18vns wrote:
April 16th, 2022, 8:28 pm
deepakss83 wrote:
March 25th, 2022, 11:26 am
Hello Friends,

Anyone recently opted for upvc windows, any input regarding which is economical upvc or wood windows and some genuine contacts for upvc would be helpful.
Go for Lesso brand from Eiti...economical rate at around 350 psft...
Thanks Sunil, I will check with them.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

RashmiL wrote:
June 24th, 2021, 8:40 pm
Today we had gone to buy wood for door frames. We had a total of 3 main doors, 2 puja doors, 5 balcony & utility doors, 6 room doors and 8 toilet doors. In total 24 vaskal frames of varying length. Except 1 teak wood door and 1 puja door rest all were Australian honne.

We had gone to 3 different saw mills. We got 3 different quotations of 2.12 lakhs, 1.87 lakhs and 1.75 lakhs.

So we finally settled at saw mill who quoted 1.75 lakhs. Honne quality is pretty much standard through out all saw mills and we got it a price of 2200 Rs per cubic feet.

For teak wood we went with Burma border grade 1 teak at 4k per cubic feet . We did not wanted teak wood at all, but finally had to settle for teak wood only for peer pressure(every passer talked about teak as if it is gold). Finally we gave up. Also we went with 8 feet frame with 8x4 inch width. As it was not standard length, we will receive it when log is cut presumably tomorrow.

However 3 things happened,

1) We had done our research and gone to several saw mill even before we called our carpenter.And we first went to the saw mill where carpenter suggested. As quoted above the price difference between that mill and one we brought was whopping 37k. 37k difference for just 1.75 lakh material, a huge margin of more than 20%. So I would urge all not to blindly trust anyone in construction industry no matter who referred them. Do your due diligence. Btw this carpenter was at least honest with wood requirements. As I have said earlier the other carpenter whom we had called before finalizing had quoted a requirement of more than 12 cubic feet.so know how to measure wood yourself.

Here is the formula

Length x breadth x width (all in inches ) / 1728.

2) Australian Honne is one wood which is easily available and quality is pretty much consistent throughout all mills. Rates are pretty much standard.currently it is available between 2200-2250 Rs per cubic feet. Do not buy anything above it. Quality unless goofed up due to storage areas is consistent throughout. This is one wood which will give you peace of mind while buying. Only point which needs to be checked is if lengthy wood pieces of 7ft and above should not have bends. If taken care nothing to worry.

3) The merchants can reduce prices by reducing GST.Remeber GST is not added on the retail price. GST is mandatory, but at what cost price is flexible. Ask discount in that. They will give. Finally last word, even before you hit saw mills, take time to research market . Today we saved 37k just for one day market research.
Hi Rashmi,

Can you please dm me contact of the Honne supplier ?
ppm123

Post by ppm123 »

Your posts are very informative and sharing so much in detail is really an eye opener for me and keep learning so much from your experiences. I have also made lot of research on Wooden doir frames and I found SLV saw mills near Mysore Road metro station is genuine snd they are equipped with imported machinery and even have oven for seasoning the wood . Rates are reasonable. Its location SLV Saw Mills & Wood Industries
098450 32484
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7ftYaHbvwEPVWjy69
manomur

Post by manomur »

Any one reliable labour contractor near electronic city ? what is the current labour contract price for red bricks construction ?
sunil18vns

Post by sunil18vns »

Contact my contractor Salim +91 81471 61826. Very reliable and timely construction
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

catchmesachin wrote:
February 21st, 2022, 10:54 am
Anyone using Roff cement for fixing bathroom tiles??? Which model of Roff cement to use keeping in mind its a new construction???
use Roff T03 tile adhesive , also buy a comb trovel for application. search on Roff video on YouTube for directions.
Tile Mistries are adamant about applyi g in traditional way just because they do not want to buy trovel or are cocksure about themselves. But applying a blob in middle always leaves gaps.
For Stone tile fixing use ST-01
Spatika

Post by Spatika »

RashmiL wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 8:28 pm
We finalized electrical contract at 1710 rs per chadra. AC,CCTV, earth works for grounding and sump water level regulator connection will be charged extra. Got the contact from reliable friend of ours. Also he had done electrical work for lot of near by homes. Hence we immediately finalized it.
Hello Ms. RashmiL, I am starting construction with labour contract. Could you please share contact details of Mason, Electrician, Plumber? How about your feedback on their workmanship?

Thank you in advance
Santhosh
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Hello Rashmi,

I have been going through your posts, Thank you for all the minute details and things to watch out.
I do have query on Granite and Bathroom flooring and Tiles.

Granite - Extremely difficult to get white granite. At top of your mind, do you remember name of shop or name of granite that is more white based? What thickness and size of Granite did you use for flooring

Bathroom Tiles and Flooring - Any good reference- Shop/Dealer? I always thought and seen bathroom tiles to be in small dimension, however Instagram has changed my view. i see bigger size tiles being used which make the bathroom look WoW.

please continue to post update on progress of your house construction
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

Sorry to hijack Rashmi's thread , I purchased tiles from many sources and would recommend following two.
1. Kajaria tiles for very large firmat premium tiles liek 4'x6' or even bigger and parking tilea. Everyone pits Kajaria board on shop but very few stock so try their experience centre at Lalbag road and get dealer contact.

2. Mytiles.com the showroom is in Kalkare for all sorts of imported and Indian tiles this is best source Visit them with ample time like a day or so.

3. Hexagonal tiles of 12"x12" and also terrace heat protection tiles.
HR Jhonson showroom is at raja rammohan roy road nesr Kanteerva stadium
However this is very old company with traditional designs reminding of childhood on 80s so wont recommend kitchen and bathroom tiles from them.

PS: I moved in the house in may thought of writing about experince but then its too much of effort I have penned by experience i posts on Rashmi and others thread so will continue like that.
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Visualizer wrote:
August 18th, 2022, 12:31 am
Sorry to hijack Rashmi's thread , I purchased tiles from many sources and would recommend following two.
1. Kajaria tiles for very large firmat premium tiles liek 4'x6' or even bigger and parking tilea. Everyone pits Kajaria board on shop but very few stock so try their experience centre at Lalbag road and get dealer contact.

2. Mytiles.com the showroom is in Kalkare for all sorts of imported and Indian tiles this is best source Visit them with ample time like a day or so.

3. Hexagonal tiles of 12"x12" and also terrace heat protection tiles.
HR Jhonson showroom is at raja rammohan roy road nesr Kanteerva stadium
However this is very old company with traditional designs reminding of childhood on 80s so wont recommend kitchen and bathroom tiles from them.

PS: I moved in the house in may thought of writing about experince but then its too much of effort I have penned by experience i posts on Rashmi and others thread so will continue like that.
Please continue to share your learnings. i have been part of this group from very long time, trust me this was very active group, however updates have dried up.

Thanks for your inputs on Tiles - Vitrified look very good when they are new, after 5 years they just fade out and loose all its shine.

Terrace - i guess heat protection tiles are Pergola are the options. Can you post your pergola pictures.
Did you explore Solar Pergola?

Return to “Civil Construction”