Building our dream house

RashmiL

Re: Building our dream house

Post by RashmiL »

We completed our 3rd floor slab. And since we had built duplex in 2nd floor (ground and first floor for rent),our in-laws were pressurising us to go for lift option. Initially we were reluctant ,but after pressure from almost everyone we decided to go for lift.

So we started scouting for lift. But since we have already built 4 floors ( G+ 3), we had many restrictions. Let me put them here ,

1) Most of the lifts installed uses traction control which require a pit at bottom (generally 3-5 feet) and a lift room (at least 10 feet height). They are faster and can carry load for higher heights. However for homes, lower speeds are considered and height can be maximum G+2 or G+ 3 for which hydraulic lifts are good enough.(hydraulic lifts have their own problems like oil leakage issues, jerks and less efficient than traction).

2) But we required a lift only for G+2 and we did not want to break anything on 3rd floor. So we had practically zero overhead space and since we had not planned for lift, we had a limited area in pit. So hydraulic lift was only option.

3) so first challenge was to find a place to keep lift (generally a decent size lift would require 5 x 5 feet internal space ). Luckily we found a spot where we could break open slab without compromising on structural safety and mainly no beams. Then we called many company representatives to check for feasibility.

So our findings was

1) we can have hydraulic lifts with just 1 feet pit depth and zero overhead space (ceiling has to be at least 9 feet ).There are lift companies like one from thyssenkrupp and ciebles which just require just 12 cm pit depth and no over head space. But thyssenkrupp (elite elevator)and ciebels lift are expensive as they are imported from Europe directly )

2) There are no safety standards for home elevators in india. Thyssenkrupp elevators(elite ) elevator ringed all bells like No pit (12 cm) and no overhead space, low power consumption and high safety standards. But price are too high. The sales guy quoted 20.6 lakhs for a hydraulic lift(base model ) inclusive of gst, transportation and installation . That seemed too high for us. They probably were willing to reduce 2 lakhs more, however 18 lakhs still looked high for us.

3) Then we started looking for other companies. We called TK elevators(Thyssenkrupp ) Indian branch who said they don't have any hydraulic elevators to offer at all which seemed strange as they have allowed another agency elite elevators to market it's hydraulic products which are imported.

4) When we heard of high prices, we decided to put all the structure required for lift and then when budget agrees we shall go for it. But after being convinced that lift is now a real possibility we continued our search. We started checking other vendors via indiamart.We also did not want to get into single vendor situation and that too who just imports it(what of he shuts his import business which is quite possible ).

5) Then many company representatives started calling us and visiting our house for feasibility and sales .Main one was Usha elevator. They said they wanted at least 1 feet in pit area for safety reasons. Primarily they will place rubber pads in pit area which will try to protect people inside lift when everything else fails. They did feasibility check and okeyed our house for lift errection.however they are yet to give quotations.

6) Few other lesser known companies gave quotation ranging from 6 to 10 lakh.

7) We also had 2 peculiar requirements. We wanted entry in ground floor in one direction and exit at top in direction adjacent to it I.e entry in East and exit in South. The lift companies told me, entry ,exit in 3 directions are also possible. They need 1 wall or 1 side for shaft. They did say that 2 door lifts are indeed common.

8) Since lift opens in parking area and exit is directly into our house bypassing main door, we wanted high security entry. Lifts nowadays has password access, biometric access , RFID access and keys for security. We have not decided on which mode, however we will avoid password access as it's the easiest way to hack (any peeking intruder can observe the code ).

9) lifts can accommodate more weight and have more space if we opt for swing door instead of sliding doors. As sliding doors require 2 doors , it takes valuable space and also has weight penalty. So do consider swing door for homes if you want more spacious cabin and more weight capacity.

10 ) hydraulic lifts have low speeds like 0.15 ms and so on. All technicians told to keep speed in home elevators to a decent one as it will be used by elders more frequently. Thyssen krup had limited speed to 0.15 to 0.4 m/s for same reason. However other company representative told they can increase or decrease speed based on client requirement..

11) because after construction lift errection are so high, lift companies try to cater this market with high customization. One guy told me that they even built 1.5 x 4 feet lift which can accommodate 2 people..So do not worry about space if you want to get lifts fitted. Call the sales guy and probably they will give good ideas.

All in all, we felt we are lucky that we considered lift at least now. Now our cost for breaking slab and others would hardly cost 25 k. The same would have costed 10 lakhs post construction. At least it was not too late.

The lift thing was running in my mind and was bugging us after every other person kept on pointing on that as we had built duplex house in 2nd floor. Now we are quite relieved that it is indeed possible and we can walk away fr on those worries. Sometimes home construction is both a headache as well as smiles. All is well that ends well. I will definitely keep you guys updated on happenings on this subject
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

So our search for lift continued today also. We received another quote from a company called EON elevators. This company has real good looking lifts (especially interiors ) probably one of the best in India (looks wise ) and is priced reasonably well. They import hydraulic unit from GMV Italy which is the heart of hydraulic lift. They quoted 7-8 lakhs for SS steel, sliding doors (2 sides ). They needed 2500 mm headroom including 7 feet passenger car(lift box) and 1 feet pit.Also we checked it's reviews. It has got one of the most positive reviews in internet. We are quite interested in this product as it has both quality and looks both at a very affordable price. So let's see how the discussion will go on.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Shivaram wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 11:57 pm
Thanks Rashmi, This thread has been one of the must reads on this forum
Could you elaborate on your architect/building plan experience and Vastu compliance(not sure your preferences), Also Pls DM me the architect contact details and would you recommend his/her services for others.
Am unable to pm you. Can you drop a message to my inbox. Will reply to this.
manomur

Post by manomur »

This is the only thread which is been regularly updated, thanks for the Rashmil for taking time out of your busy schedule and sharing the knowledge and experience gained during your construction process. Even I am planning to construct house probably from 2nd half of next year. Initially even I had a plans of constructing 4 floors first 2 floors (G + 1) for rental basis and next two floors (duplex) for own use. Having 4 floors I have several challenges
1. In my layout only G + 2 is permitted and anything beyond that is violation
2. My plot is located at electronic city where there is no availability of Kaveri water and almost every one depends upon borewell or tanker. Though the layout provides borewell water I am not sure when its gonna dry out, so I am planning to do RWH ( Rain Water Harvesting) for which bigger sump is required. So having more rental unit the sharing of water has to be done.
3. Living at higher floor the accessibility is gonna be little bit tougher for old aged people and also bit tedious while moving heavier luggage's if there is no lift. So having lift is again an additional maintenance
Analyzing all the above challenges sometimes I think its better to go with G + 2 floors.
As my plot is 1500 sqft unit
1. At ground floor I can go for 2bhk unit for rental and remaining space for parking at least 2 cars and
2. Duplex on first and second floor.
The only thing I loose is rental income of 1 floor but with what investment ?. May be 12 to 15 lakhs for 1 additional floor. The same amount I can purchase plot in my native in which later years I can construct only for rental purpose.
So, please let me know which is the better option G +3 or G +2. Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

I will explain our rationale for going for G+3.

1) Firstly our site is located very near to metro station, due to which rents are reasonably high. Also due to this land prices are also high.Due to location , rented houses are in great demand.

2) Rent for ground floor and 1st floor are generally high than 2nd and third floors. So we thought we will build ground and first floor as rent and duplex above.

3) Duplex above has advantages you will get good light and air. Additionally we will get around 32-35k as rent from below floors which is good money.

So we did not want to miss out on rent which generally keeps up with inflation and is a investment without headache. (Guaranteed returns ) for atleast 30-40 years.

Our initial mistake was assuming we will climb 2 floors with ease. We did. Problem started when we had to climb 3rd floor.thats where you start to feel the need of lift. Luckily we have space to go for it.probably it will cost you 24k per year including current bill and so. But that's 2k per month for us which we can afford.

Coming to investment, lift + 1 floor will cost us 30 lakhs. But in return we will get 20k as rent for a long period of 30-40 years minimum. And rent will keep up with inflation. If we somehow clear the loans, our children's will enjoy that amount for long time and probably will thank us for creating a regular stream of income. That's why we went for that arrangement.

PS: if we had not opted for lift, we would have got brick bat from all for going duplex in 2nd floor. Now since we are opting for it, people have suddenly started liking our home plans. Lift was the only difference between wow and ayyo
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Btw 1500 sq ft is really good space. We can build G+1+1 for rent and stay in last floor with a lift option. 1500 sq ft will give you built in area of around 1350 sq ft which is good enough for 4 members.
catchmesachin

Post by catchmesachin »

Please tell me the prices of the below -

1. Electric engineer cost per chadra ???
2. Plumber cost ???
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Electrical engineer - we gave 1700 per Chadra. But it can go as high as 2500 depending on areas.

Plumber - it depends on bathroom count alone. We have 7 bathrooms. They are quoting 9k for Indian toilets, 12k for single piece commode and 15k for wall mounted commode. We are planning to negotiate around 10k per bathroom.it should include solar, kitchen, rain water feeder, chambers and external plumbing line connection.
kk55340

Post by kk55340 »

can you share your mestri number please, how is workmanship so far?
RashmiL

Post by RashmiL »

Mestri is excellent. His name is kumaraswamy. Very skilled person. Will send you his no in PM. Very soft speaking person.can easily recommend him considering our experience with him.There are few others about whom our opinion changed over time in last few months. But mestri image had improved over time.

Return to “Civil Construction”