House Construction - My Diary

vijayk76

Re: House Construction - My Diary

Post by vijayk76 »

Inputs Needed:
I have been like pendulum, some times i feel, let me go for TurnKey and on other side i feel, let me give my time and go for Labor contract and i source material. In case of TurnKey quality is concern highlighted by many i met.

In addition to this, the agreement or quote i got Turnkey where in i am charged 2k PSF, the switches or other material used is just average. Be it switches, Tiles, Bathroom Fitting, there is lot of room to upgrade where you like to.

Question - I did reach out few architects, and based on the response i got my 2D plan, I am waiting for my plan approval before i proceed with other drawings. Once all drawings are provided, Do i need a Civil Engineer?
Can the Architect play the role of Civil Engineer and ensure the construction is as per the drawings? Can Labor contract directly work with Architect?

If this is an option then the number of Architect Visit would increase, probably i will have to bear that cost.

help with right option.

Option 1 - Architect gives all drawings with few Visits + Civil Engineer (consultation) + Labor contract.
Option 2 - Architect gives all drawings with multiple Visits + Labor Contract

With all structural drawings and other Drawings in place, i am assuming either Civil Engineer or Architect with multiple visit should help in coming up with good house.

Please share your thoughts.
manomur

Post by manomur »

vijayk76 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 7:08 pm
Inputs Needed:
I have been like pendulum, some times i feel, let me go for TurnKey and on other side i feel, let me give my time and go for Labor contract and i source material. In case of TurnKey quality is concern highlighted by many i met.

In addition to this, the agreement or quote i got Turnkey where in i am charged 2k PSF, the switches or other material used is just average. Be it switches, Tiles, Bathroom Fitting, there is lot of room to upgrade where you like to.

Question - I did reach out few architects, and based on the response i got my 2D plan, I am waiting for my plan approval before i proceed with other drawings. Once all drawings are provided, Do i need a Civil Engineer?
Can the Architect play the role of Civil Engineer and ensure the construction is as per the drawings? Can Labor contract directly work with Architect?

If this is an option then the number of Architect Visit would increase, probably i will have to bear that cost.

help with right option.

Option 1 - Architect gives all drawings with few Visits + Civil Engineer (consultation) + Labor contract.

With all structural drawings and other Drawings in place, i am assuming either Civil Engineer or Architect with multiple visit should help in coming up with good house.

Hello Vijayk76, to answer your question let start with Turnkey or Labor contract, as per my opinion if you want to realize your dream house then you should invest your time and you should be holding the reins of project. So you got it what I mean.
W.r.t. architect yes experienced architects will also a play role of civil engineer as well btw they are always associated with structural engineers . As far as my experience its better to have an one architect or engineer associated with you from start to until completion of your project. If so then instead of calculating fees based on percentage of total project, talk lumpsum amount including number of visits and payment schedules.
Coming to the following options
I prefer option 2, because you are already paying huge fees for architect and it his responsibility to get structural engineer at every milestones and get it verified. In addition to above the cement companies especially big players like ultratech, acc will send engineers on demand during concrete work for free consultation.
ABVN

Post by ABVN »

Hello Mr.Vijay,
Firstly congratulations on starting your journey on your home construction.
I am an Architect based in JP nagar, specializing in Eco-friendly constructions. I take up design and build projects on 'As per Actuals' basis. The materials can be sourced by vendors know to us or by vendors known to you, and payments need to be made directly to the vendors. The labour is calculated on the measurements of the project. Do let me know if this interests you. You can go through our works on www.buildingresourcehub.in. call me at 9620319962
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

manomur wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 11:19 pm
vijayk76 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 7:08 pm
Inputs Needed:

help with right option.

Hello Vijayk76, to answer your question let start with Turnkey or Labor contract, as per my opinion if you want to realize your dream house then you should invest your time and you should be holding the reins of project. So you got it what I mean.
W.r.t. architect yes experienced architects will also a play role of civil engineer as well btw they are always associated with structural engineers . As far as my experience its better to have an one architect or engineer associated with you from start to until completion of your project. If so then instead of calculating fees based on percentage of total project, talk lumpsum amount including number of visits and payment schedules.
Coming to the following options
I prefer option 2, because you are already paying huge fees for architect and it his responsibility to get structural engineer at every milestones and get it verified. In addition to above the cement companies especially big players like ultratech, acc will send engineers on demand during concrete work for free consultation.
Thank you Manohar. for sharing your thoughts. I am biased towards Option 2 as well, unless there are practical challenges and i don't get Architect who would like to play the role of Architect and also wear Civil Engineer Hat and act as consultant through out the project.

Lumpsum - i agree is the best option, some architects don't agree to this, however most are open for discussion.
How much did you pay for Architect Services and what services would he/she provide.
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

ABVN wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 11:47 am
Hello Mr.Vijay,
Firstly congratulations on starting your journey on your home construction.
I am an Architect based in JP nagar, specializing in Eco-friendly constructions. I take up design and build projects on 'As per Actuals' basis. The materials can be sourced by vendors know to us or by vendors known to you, and payments need to be made directly to the vendors. The labour is calculated on the measurements of the project. Do let me know if this interests you. You can go through our works on www.buildingresourcehub.in. call me at 9620319962
Hello ABVN, Thanks you very ABVN for sharing website link. I did have quick look at projects and the Eco friendly touch is pretty evident in all aspect. I have saved your number and reach out to you, if we decide to go Eco Friendly way. Thanks again for details.
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Architect Fees -
I plan to construct 400 sq feet on Ground floor and Duplex on first and second. This is 1275 sql feet land. At high level the built up would be 3200 to 3400 sqfeet built up including head room.

I did approach few Architects and got range of quotes.

Category One : 4 to 5% … This would be around 2.5 to 3 Lakhs assuming the construction Cost is around 60 Lakh.
All workings drawings (2D (5 variation)/3D/Electrical/Structural/Elevation (3 variation)etc). Agreed number of visits, if extra visits needed extra charges. Few were flexible on this.
Civil Engineer/Contractor can be anyone, if needed they can provide references of Contractors who they have worked with.

Category 2 : Their quote were not on %, they were like 50rs to 100 rs per square feet. in case of 100 rs the cost would be around 3.2 lakh to provide all services mentioned above. The same architect can provide limited services where the charge would be 50rs psf. in this case it would be 1.6 lakh. Number of visits will be less and they don't get involved at micro level/interiors

Category 3 : who did not share the rates :) They sounded open for either Category 1 or Category 2. and rate will be told after finalizing all that we need from them. Honestly this is difficult, since we don't know what all we want :)

Finally Where do i stand and what i am looking for :)
Thanks to Social Media - i contacted few, who had displayed their portfolio couple of them were from Tier 2 cities. 25 rs per sq feet... and he agreed to provide all the drawings. which just means around 80K....
To begin with they charged me nominal for 2 D plan.... it took around 8 to 10 days and they were able to capture all what i was looking for. I can say, pretty happy with their patience and turn around time. Sever changes/iteration were made. if i wish to go to next level then i need to pay the difference amount in staggered way.
The only drawback here is- since they are not from Bangalore, physical visit is challenge.

I don't know what is the best option, however Good Architect from Tier 2 is good option provided you have good civil engineer who can sync with the architect. I bet there would be some technical challenges which we can cover come provided both Engineer and Architect are good.

Forum Friends, who built house and availed Architect services. what category did you go with and how much you paid.
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

ON HOLD...….…….

Tried my best to get plan approval through couple of Agents. Unfortunately both of them after few days ended up saying "Sorry" they are not collecting betterment charges....

I don't intend to proceed with construction without BBMP Plan approval. If anyone has contacts in BBMP Bommanhalli please share it.

Bank Response..... Private bank were ok to give loan if the BBMP plan is approved and Betterment charges are not paid, however the Bank guy told there are instances of BBMP plan without betterment charges are fake. So he advised it is better to pay Betterment charges.

One of the agent said he can get me plan approved with out Betterment charges. The Bribe would be lot higher than what it would be if betterment charges were paid.

Any inputs on this will help me clear roadblock i have hit.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Regarding acceptance of betterment charges, to my knowledge the following BBMP circular still holds good:

Improvement Charges_Page_1.jpg
Improvement Charges_Page_1.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
Improvement Charges_Page_2.jpg
Improvement Charges_Page_2.jpg (121.67 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Hello Sampath,

Many people in same layout have managed to pay betterment charges followed by plan approval. Not sure what changed from 3 to 4 months they have stopped collecting betterment charges. No clue when they will start
kk55340

Post by kk55340 »

HI,

I am about to beging ground floor construction in two months time, could you please share number of this service please :
"Finally Where do i stand and what i am looking for :)
Thanks to Social Media - i contacted few, who had displayed their portfolio couple of them were from Tier 2 cities. 25 rs per sq feet... and he agreed to provide all the drawings. which just means around 80K....
To begin with they charged me nominal for 2 D plan.... it took around 8 to 10 days and they were able to capture all what i was looking for. I can say, pretty happy with their patience and turn around time. Sever changes/iteration were made. if i wish to go to next level then i need to pay the difference amount in staggered way.
The only drawback here is- since they are not from Bangalore, physical visit is challenge."

Return to “Civil Construction”