Please help us with choosing wall height

jayesha

Please help us with choosing wall height

Post by jayesha »

Hello,

I have two option for me before I go further in my house contruction. Budget is the contraint and hence I need to choose one of the two options.

option 1: Floor to floor Wall height of 11 ft and all UPVC Windows.
option 2: Floor to floor wall height of 10 ft and Honne wood frame and shutter windows.

Though I like the wall height of 11 ft as it gives spacious look and also more airy. But I have to be content with UPVC windows. Does the wall height of 10 ft also as good as 11 ft ? if you were in my position what was your preference? I really appreciate your input on this.
vijayk76

Re: Please help us with choosing wall height

Post by vijayk76 »

My two cents..... If it was just one floor, i would have gone for 11 feet. If the situation is like mine, ground floor parking then duplex on first and second, my aim to reduce the number of steps i need to climb. I would go with 10 feet in this case.
Infact I was evaluating options of 9 feet for ground floor where I plan to have studio room. Objective is lesser steps. House will look like apartment if the plot is small
jayesha

Post by jayesha »

vijayk76 wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 8:05 pm
Infact I was evaluating options of 9 feet for ground floor where I plan to have studio room. Objective is lesser steps. House will look like apartment if the plot is small
Thanks for your input. Mine is G+1. if there is no much difference in appearance between 10 and 11 feet, then I will go with 10 feet wall. In my case, if I have to go with 11 feet wall, then I have to be happy with UPVC windows (because of budget constraint) instead of wooden windows.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

1. ceiling height and UPVC has no bearing or relationship. Dont consider UPVC as cheap or inferior in fact good quality UPVC costs almost same as honge /sal wood.
You can not put heavy glass like 10mm toughned large format or DG glass to reduce noise in wood.

If you are going for wood consider budget including cost of polishing and PU / Polycoat as painting elegant wood is waste.of money and aesthetics. And in this regard American Ashwood is best as it has beautiful grains like burma teak , white in colour so can take any polish and is quite hard. In fact I saw on furniture shops most items being sold as Burma teak were American Ashwood with teak colour polish.

UPVC vs wood decisions should be based on following factors.

* how much glass and openness you want womt cant accomodate very large format glass like 7+ feet hight 10mm toughned glass. This will give clean look and you need not put grill.
* Do you want slider large french window shutters in balcony / garden ? this is not possible in wood.
* Are you environment friendly and hate seeing reduced forest cover ?

2 Coming back to your main point about ceiling height , I do not thing it gives any extra elegance . Usually these things are just in mind of those constructing home and you notice in others homes if you are constructing.. 6 months after you move in you stop noticing ceiling is 10 or 11 or 12 feet anywhere.
High ceiling just imporves profit margin of contractors and later your wife will curse you when cobwebs in ceiling will be out of reach and she will have to pay maids extra to clean them up 😀
In mild climate like Bangalore there is no particular afvantage and even in harsh north Indian summers with AC high ceiling requires more tonnage of AC due to larger volume.

Return to “Civil Construction”