Size of Solar water heater

msn1270

Re: Size of Solar water heater

Post by msn1270 »

Of Course. It all depends on the individual family needs. Many people want too hot water or takes bath multiple times in a day. Say my neighbors is basically from Mangalore region and they take bath both in the morning as well as in the evening. In those cases, stored hot water is not sufficient. So based on the family usage, the requirement changes. Once the Hot water is consumed, to get the hot water once again on the same day takes good amount of time in regular solar water heaters and also if the members are more or some guests arrives or on non-sunny days getting sufficient hot water will be an issue. But in case of Heat Pumps or by using heating coil, irrespective of the time or season, you can get hot water.
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

Compleyely agree msn1270 on varying needs.
That was the reason I mentioned about our usage pattern.
My need was about meeting one shower a day for a family of 4. And heating coil to take care unplanned needs.
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

rjblr how much did the 200 liters pressurized solar water heater from racold.cost you ? Also how many solar collector plates it has ?
rjblr

Post by rjblr »

66k along with heating coil. it has 2 collector plates. price might have gone up marginally.
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Good Information shared by Forum Members. Please help me understand the following.
Family of 4 and Requirement is 300 liters of hot water- 3 Bathroom and Hot water should be available in all 3 showers.

Option 1 : Default Solar that is fitted (300 liters capacity) + gyser in all bathroom to take care of days when there is no Sun.

Option 2: Solar with Heating Coil (capacity 300 liters)- This means no gysers are needed

Assumption -Location of Solar installation has ample sunlight since there is no high raise building.

which of the option would be cost effective? This should include Monthly Electricity Bills
Visualizer

Post by Visualizer »

For my flat few months back I got racold 25 liter vertical geyser for approx 8K so for 3 barhrooms you can consider 24-25K + Pressurized solar heater should be approx 50 K so for 150L solar heater + 3 geysers you are looking at 75K approx. If suppose you don't have pressure pump this would be around 50-55K. Also you need to factor in cost of 2.5 sq mm lines for geyser lines and MCBs and overall sanctioned load.

Heating element for solar water heater doesn't cost much around 2-3K rs and usually 2 K Watt load.

My decision of solar + heat pump was not fully from financial perspective but from energy efficiency and environmental point of view.

Also I have 5 bathrooms with body jets and cascade shower + 30 cm rain showers and also hot water line in kitchen sink. So I think hot water consumption will be on higher side.
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

vijayk76 wrote:
September 1st, 2022, 1:33 pm
Good Information shared by Forum Members. Please help me understand the following.
Family of 4 and Requirement is 300 liters of hot water- 3 Bathroom and Hot water should be available in all 3 showers.

Both options have certain advantages and disadvantages. My assumption is, every solar water heater comes with heating element by default, as it doesn't make much difference in terms of cost. Based on your usage, you can choose the appropriate option.

Option 1 : Default Solar that is fitted (300 liters capacity) + geyser in all bathroom to take care of days when there is no Sun.
In this case, Having heating element within the solar water storage tank is cost effective as its very small amount and also doesn't need separate Electric Geysers in all the bathrooms. When there is low sunlight/cloudy weather, you can heat the hot water @ one source and hot water will get distributed to any of the 3 bathrooms. But the disadvantage is heating entire 300 ltr stored water takes longer time and may not be used completely.

Option 2: Solar with Heating Coil (capacity 300 liters)- This means no geysers are needed
In this case, whichever bathroom needs hot water, only that small portion of water will be effectively heated at less time rather than heating the entire 300 ltr one time with longer time. But initial installation cost needs considerable amount and also needs additional plumbing and electrical options and accessories. Also over a period of time, maintenance cost is also 3 times more

Another Options is to go for Solar water heater with Heat Pump back up Combo option, where you can set the Required temperature for the hot water with the Heat Pump, when the temperature of stored water comes below that level either due to low sun light/cloudy weather or during extra usage either in Evening time or when extra people consumes hot water, Heat pump automatically Turns ON and maintains the Temperature level set by your choice. This is most energy efficient, but initial cost is higher.

Assumption -Location of Solar installation has ample sunlight since there is no high raise building.

which of the option would be cost effective? This should include Monthly Electricity Bills
Attachments
Solar HP Combo.JPG
Solar HP Combo.JPG (36.66 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
vijayk76

Post by vijayk76 »

Thank you Visualizer & MSN for all the insight on Solar installation.

Return to “Civil Construction”