Home renovation service recommendations?

blr78

Home renovation service recommendations?

Post by blr78 »

My original plan was new construction. But land/demolishable house acquisition has been a pain. So I have given it up and zeroed in on a built house. I am not impressed by the quality. So I am looking to replace all the flooring, bathroom wall tiles/flooring/sanitary-ware. A few queries
1. Has anybody has experience doing it? . Can you share some good recommendations? ( Only if you have used the services)
2. I got a call from nobroker portal . They claim they have this service. How good are they?
3. Any other reputed players like ikea etc?. I would have preferred someone like ikea, due to peace of mind and the quality. But not sure if they take up such work.
ardesarchitects

Re: Home renovation service recommendations?

Post by ardesarchitects »

Hi Blr78,
I think you are doing the same mistake of not taking up the design and then constructing your dream home. Quality is not just about materials used but the way they are used. You need to look for good workmanship and details while changing the floor tiles and sanitary.
My personal recommendation is never go with online portal guys they don't take any kind of responsibility and its simply out sourced job works. They are just aggregators in passing on work to contractors with no credentials. I have not come across a single member on this forum or in my own profession recommending any of these online portal contractors.
Ikea is not in to construction contracts, they just sell the factory furniture items 100% DIY fixing stuff.
For your requirement you need a good mason, tile layer, plumber & electrician with good coordination.

Regards,
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects and Interior designers
ardesarchitects@gmail.com
www.ardesarchitects.com
https://www.instagram.com/ardesarchitects
blr78

Post by blr78 »

Thanks Praveen. You are spot on in your observation. I just consulted a reputed online portal. It just just turned out to be an aggregator. Doesnt give any confidence.
Achyut7997

Post by Achyut7997 »

Hi,

I had the same challenge when I bought a building that was ready to occupy. 

All the toilets had Indian water closets; we had to change them to European water closets.

We also had to change the wall and floor tiles as they were old.

I visited four hardware, sanitaryware, and tile shops near the place, got the phone numbers of plumbers and tile labourers, and called all of them to give my requirements. 

Finalised plumber for demolishing, bebris removal, and all plumbing-related works on a lump sum basis for five toilets.

I also finalised the tile labour on a lump sum basis (buying sand and cement was in his scope, as was bebris removal) for five toilets.

I bought all the plumbing-related materials and tiles myself.

This way, I saved almost 50 percent of the money that contractors or online portal consultants had quoted. 
Whitewing

Post by Whitewing »

How much did the labour cost for the WC replacement? And was the labour cost for tiles based on Sq Feet or on day labour?
Planning to retile one of our bathrooms, hence wanted to get an idea of approx costs.
blr78

Post by blr78 »

Thanks Achyut7997. Thats a good idea. But I am looking for one single point of contact who can execute all the jobs. ( Materials will be selected by me)

Return to “Civil Construction”