Wood - Doors & Frames

vijayk76

Wood - Doors & Frames

Post by vijayk76 »

Hello All,

For my house-" under construction", i enquired Teak Wood for Frames & Doors Couple of SawMill on Bannerghatta Road quoted 4.8K per cubic feet for Burma Border Teak. I also enquired few saw mills on Mysore road, the price was almost similar.

Called SawMill in Hunsur, they quoted around 3K per cubic feet but they said it is log price.

Chikkamagalur - quoted around 4K for Burmaborder and 3K for Local Dandeli and Husur Teak.

Need reference of good place to buy Teak wood. It can be in Bangalore or around Bangalore.

Regards
Vijay
msn1270

Re: Wood - Doors & Frames

Post by msn1270 »

Firstly You won't get original Hunsur Teak. Even if you get, its very hard to find the carpenter who work on Hunsur teak, as its the hardest wood and the current Generation carpenters doesn't know, to work with it. So those who claim, they sell Hunsur teak itself false promise. Even If you try to get it from Hunsur or Chikmagalur, you need to consider the loading, unloading and transportation costs also. Also if they are not seasoned wood, then you face issues at later stage.

some of the alternate options you can look into is

1. Go for Sal wood Frame and teak wood readymade doors, that works affordable & also reduces carpenter manual work & labor cost

2. Use engineered wood door & Frame for all Internal Doors & windows and go for Main door with Teak Wood with Sal wood Frame.

3. Go for upscaled windows & Doors to the maximum extent. This is cost effective and the old teak wood is well seasoned and reduces carpenter labor work also. Only thing is, you need to compromise with the available designs, rather than your own design choice.

4. You can look for Steel Doors, which comes even in Wooden Finishing, more robust and strong, yet cheaper than the ordinary low grade Teak wood doors.
manomur

Post by manomur »

vijayk76 wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 7:24 pm
Hello All,

For my house-" under construction", i enquired Teak Wood for Frames & Doors Couple of SawMill on Bannerghatta Road quoted 4.8K per cubic feet for Burma Border Teak. I also enquired few saw mills on Mysore road, the price was almost similar.

Called SawMill in Hunsur, they quoted around 3K per cubic feet but they said it is log price.

Chikkamagalur - quoted around 4K for Burmaborder and 3K for Local Dandeli and Husur Teak.

Need reference of good place to buy Teak wood. It can be in Bangalore or around Bangalore.

Regards
Vijay
Price varies as per log size, usually log size are categorized based on circumference & shape in c4 to c1 (crooked log c4 being the least and c1 being the highest) and similarly B4 to B1 (straight logs).
Always check what log size they are offering because smallest circumference logs will have more wastage a minimum of 30% and going for bigger logs will have minimal wastage but price difference will be too much.
You can prefer B4 and C3 logs for all the frames and 1 B3 log for your main door shutters.
I have sourced the Nilambur teak from Kearla , Nilambur forest depot. I suggest you to go and check the wood directly rather than on call and moreover in Bangalore you won't find much Indian teak, almost all saw mills here are selling Burma border and African teaks. Its better to go with Indian teak, because of our climatic condition the teak grown here is very hard with more grains and oil content.
anjali.sangwan

Post by anjali.sangwan »

Can some one share details on where we can procure old teak doors and also suggest a good carpenter?
msn1270

Post by msn1270 »

There are dealers located in different location of Bangalore. you can visit Bamboo Bazaar Near Shivajinagar, where you get good collection.

Return to “Interiors”