Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Eco friendly ideas & concepts
SAMPATH S

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by SAMPATH S »

EFFECTIVE Rainwater Harvesting FILTERS and bore well and ground water recharge:

The rapid and steady decline of ground water all over the country due to over exploitation in urban as well as rural areas for potable water requirements and irrigation is well known.

In urban areas, a number of bore wells have dried up due to this and in most others, the yield has been coming down steadily. New bore wells are dug in massive numbers every day and in many places in the city ground water is not struck even beyond 1000 feet. It is a different issue whether ground water at such depths would remain potable.

Side by side, flooding of roads and low lying areas even during light rains is not uncommon. Traffic coming to a standstill for hours and houses and cellars getting inundated is regular news. Drains filled with silt and garbage block movement of rainwater. Yet, the lakes are getting dried up and ground water level is rapidly declining. Ground water recharge, which used to take place due to thick vegetation and porous soil, has become a thing of the past.

Can we, as citizens, in any way contribute to reduce this menace? Rooftop of all buildings contribute to substantial collection of rainwater, which in most cases flows to the storm water drains and sometimes to the sewage pipes (illegal). Percolation pits and wells in most cases have got filled up with silt over the years and naturally have lost their efficiency.

Since most of the residential and commercial units have bore wells, functional or otherwise, efficient ground water recharge would help them immensely in reviving the bore wells and / or increase the yield. It can also reduce/help dilute the ill effects of water sourced from deep borewells.

A high efficiency rooftop rainwater harvesting filter like the EFFECTIVE RWH FILTER would be of immense help in channelizing rooftop rainwater for increasing the groundwater level in such situations.
riturajmnit

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by riturajmnit »

hi Sampath

As i am still going through the details you have accumulated in this thread, thanks to your selfless effort. I am doing RWH again in my second house and i have taken an ambitious goal of making rainwater as drinkable. I still have 4 months to get this solution. Would really help if you can suggest some leads.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

riturajmnit wrote:
July 25th, 2022, 11:06 am
hi Sampath

As i am still going through the details you have accumulated in this thread, thanks to your selfless effort. I am doing RWH again in my second house and i have taken an ambitious goal of making rainwater as drinkable. I still have 4 months to get this solution. Would really help if you can suggest some leads.
Hi riturajmnit

Glad that you are following this thread and you intend doing RWH again in your second house and to make the rainwater as drinkable.

If you can narrate your requirement of the specific leads you expect, I would try to furnish them to the best of my ability.

Learning is not a one-way process. I do keep learning from the queries raised by RWH enthusiasts and try to improve the system to the extent possible.
riturajmnit

Post by riturajmnit »

Thank you for your reply.
So we have done 2 sumps of 10k ltr each storage and now will be putting 2 Overhead tank of 5000 and 1000 ltr each.

1000 ltr is feeding the kitchen line and all wash basin line. I will be adding sediment and carbon filter, and finally routing water through UV filter.

This is brute force solution, not sure if there is any ready solution for same ?

Thanks
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

riturajmnit wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 4:27 pm
Thank you for your reply.
So we have done 2 sumps of 10k ltr each storage and now will be putting 2 Overhead tank of 5000 and 1000 ltr each.

1000 ltr is feeding the kitchen line and all wash basin line. I will be adding sediment and carbon filter, and finally routing water through UV filter.

This is brute force solution, not sure if there is any ready solution for same ?

Thanks
You have mentioned that you have done 2 sumps of 10k ltr each. Believe one for rainwater and the other for Cauvery water/borewell water. In any case it would be better to interlink the two tanks, both at top and bottom through valves. The valve for the bottom connector may be placed inside the sump from which maximum water will be pumped. It would also be preferable if you can make a device to operate this valve from the top/lid (bottom linking will be about 1 foot from the sump floor). The top link may be made by pipe connecting from outside and the valve placed in this pipe can be easily operated from outside itself. This is only a suggestion as this arrangement would permit easy transfer of water from one sump to the other.

You have mentioned two overhead tanks. It is not clear whether the distribution lines are interconnected by valves to facilitate easy switch over in case of necessity.

Regarding water purifier, UV purifier would be sufficient. Generally purifier would have a sediment filter in the package, either external or internal. UV purifiers invariably have a carbon filter built in. It is not clear whether you are referring to these or you intend providing additional one. In case you are planning for additional filters, the servicing/maintenance and replacement costs would be additional.

There are many ways of doing anything and it is for you to take a call.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Monsoon – Use rain water now and save the excess by recharging ground water – Preserve the ground water for summer.

It is easy and cheap to harvest rooftop rainwater - Using Effective RWH Filters
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Below is the link to a short video of my rainwater collection sump and the water from the topmost layer being pumped (you can hear the background pump noise) using a self designed simple suction float. You may also notice the special piping arrangement in the sump for the inlet (filtered) rainwater. Do observe the clarity of rainwater being pumped. Daily rainwater is being collected in this sump. The sump has not been cleaned for the last three months.
Apart from the EFFECTIVE rainwater harvesting filter, a few other arrangements together makes this possible.
I do have pristine water stored in other sumps which is a few months old.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CV25nSFciBxDoQRXVWKeKdy18AAA9S6u/view?usp=sharing

Return to “Solar and wind power”