Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Eco friendly ideas & concepts
SAMPATH S

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by SAMPATH S »

Glad to state that I am in the 7th successive year of successfully harvesting and using rainwater exclusively for all our domestic requirements round the year.

At the suggestion of a few friends, I have since revamped the outer container of my Type 2 RWH Effective Filters.

Vibrant looking Type 2 Filter (3stage)
Vibrant looking Type 2 Filter (3stage)
Vibrant looking Type 2 filters (3stage).jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 22889 times

Above is the all new vibrant looking 3 stage filter of Type 2. The 3rd stage filter is not advocated since it not only works out much costlier, but also is prone to blockage. I do have a provision for a fourth stage filter, which is used for experimental purposes. I have used a 50 micron filter for 3rd stage. I do have a 37.5 micron filter, which can be made the 4th stage. I also have a 25 micron filter.

The 75 micron filter mesh was found to have optimum filtration, low cost, much less prone to blockage. The conclusion has been arrived at by me after carrying out extensive experiments in the natural environment.

The inner filters remain the same. The outer container has been replaced by regular domestic storage bucket of 25 liters. The replacement/alternative was also necessary since bigger size used paint buckets were practically not available in the market. The lids are also replaced by solid plastic board, which can withstand adverse weather/wind conditions. In order to keep the inner filter bucket suspended (type 2 filters), I have used a coil of washing machine waste water outlet pipe (diameter approximately 1.25 inch). The diameter of the suspension pipe depends on the actual circumference of the outer bucket.
SAMPATH S

Re: Effective Rainwater Filter – For rooftop rainwater harvesting – Very low-cost, do-it-yourself filters

Post by SAMPATH S »

Individual water meters to each floor/connection:

It is always better to plan and install individual water meter from overhead tank/s to each floor/house. Of course separate piping has to be provided to each floor/house. This will avoid unnecessary disputes regarding excessive use of water and will also help plan to reduce consumption.

As far as I know, these meters have to be installed horizontally. Here is a picture of the meters installed by me, one each for each of the three floors and one for miscellaneous use.

Individual water meters to each floor/house
Individual water meters to each floor/house
Water meters to each floor.jpg (231.29 KiB) Viewed 22414 times
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

I have conveyed maximum info on my Innovative High Efficiency Do it yourself Rooftop RWH Effective Filters.

Already we are in the midst of monsoon.

If anyone needs any clarification, I would be glad to furnish to the best of my knowledge and experience.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Glad to inform that this innovative Effective Rainwater harvesting Filter is shortlisted for a national level award by the Ministry of Water Resources of the Government of India.

May have to wait for the final decision for some more time.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Catch-the-Rain_Bengaluru_poster-1024x1024.png
Catch-the-Rain_Bengaluru_poster-1024x1024.png (264.7 KiB) Viewed 21654 times
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Bengaluru, second highest in rainwater harvesting in Indian cities

For details, read the following report:

https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/rainwater-harvesting-in-bengaluru-webinar-64351
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

BWSSB to push internal water metering

Apartments internal water metering
Apartments internal water metering
bengaluru-sundale-apartments-internal-metering-avinash-hegde-jul2021-1030x438.jpg (137.63 KiB) Viewed 21112 times

https://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/bwssb-water-meter-policy-apartments-penalty-64426
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

Despite penalties, Bangalore citizens still not utilizing harvested rainwater

Rooftop rainwater, the purest form of water with least contaminants, is being allowed to flow through underground sewage. A report by BWSSB.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bengaluru/2021/aug/23/despite-penalties-bangalore-citizens-stillnot-utilising-harvested-rainwater-2348375.html
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

SAMPATH S wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 10:45 am
Glad to inform that this innovative Effective Rainwater harvesting Filter is shortlisted for a national level award by the Ministry of Water Resources of the Government of India.

Happy to share with you all that this award has finally gone in my favour. Await details.
SAMPATH S

Post by SAMPATH S »

WATER HERO AWARD

I feel immensely proud to convey that I have been selected for the WATER HERO Award by the Ministry of Jal Shakti (Water Resources) of GOVT. OF INDIA. This award is given with the objective of promoting the value of water in general and for supporting country-wide efforts on water conservation and sustainable development of water resources. The results were announced on 23/08/2021 in a notification by the Ministry on MyGov.in portal.

The Award entails a cash prize of Rs.10,000, besides a Certificate. While I was waiting for receipt of the certificate, I understand that the same would be sent in due course, besides the cash prize would be remitted to my bank account by NEFT.

For me the award is in recognition of my developing a Simple and Innovative Low-Cost, High Efficiency, Do-it-yourself EFFECTIVE RAINWATER HARVESTING FILTER SYSTEM and also for my tireless contribution by spreading awareness on direct rainwater harvesting for domestic use for all purposes, including drinking/cooking, among the Community over a period of several years.

It is worth noting that while this is the highest award an individual can contest in the field of water conservation under the Ministry of Jal Shakti (Water Resources), it is open to non-individuals too – including the Central & State Govt., their departmental undertakings like Defence, Railways, Posts, etc., Public Sector Undertakings, Private Sector Undertakings, Companies, NGOs, Research bodies, IITs, IIMs, Engineering Colleges and all Educational Institutions, etc., the only condition is that it is represented through an individual.

I have already received the JALA RUSHI PURASKAR from BWSSB.

With this award, my presence in the field of water conservation at the national level has been strengthened. Your continued encouragement has been a source of strength all through.

Return to “Solar and wind power”